Optimize shipping routes to reduce CO2-emissions and particle pollution. Plan the most efficient routes for land transportation to promote a greener road transport system. Ensure the stability of railway infrastructure to promote security for an increasing number of rail passengers. These are some of the green mobility applications which Copernicus satellite data can support – in addition to a number of other satellite data applications across sectors which have the potential to address significant societal challenges. Read more below.
Keywords: Green mobility, transportation, water management, agriculture and food security, land-use change, forest monitoring, soil quality, urban planning, natural protection services, air quality, ultraviolet radiation, greenhouse gases, climate change, marine safety and transport, oil-spill detection, water quality, big data, satellites
Industry: Mobility, transportation, environment and security
Each second 24/7/365 satellites orbiting the Earth provides a wealth of data which continuously feeds information about the dynamics of the planet we live on and the societies we live in.
The European satellite system Copernicus is the most ambitious Earth observation satellite programme to date. It consists of a fleet of satellites which provides accurate, timely and easily accessible information services which are provided freely and openly accessible to its users.
These services fall into six main categories: land management, the marine environment, atmosphere, emergency response, security and climate change.
- Land Services relevant to the land environment include monitoring for water management, agriculture and food security, land-use change, forest monitoring, soil quality, urban planning and natural protection services.
- Marine Environment. Services relevant to the marine environment include monitoring for marine safety and transport, oil-spill detection, water quality and the polar environment.
- Atmosphere. Services relevant to the atmosphere include monitoring for air quality and ultraviolet radiation forecasts, greenhouse gases and climate forcing.
- Emergency management. Services for emergency management response will help mitigating the effects of natural and manmade disasters such as floods, forest fires and earthquakes and contribute to humanitarian aid exercises.
- Climate change. The service gives access to information for monitoring, predicting and attributing climate change and will help improve adaptation and mitigation policies.
Read more about Copernicus application areas here: Focus_on_Copernicus_applications
The Copernicus Hackathon challenge is to develop new applications based on Copernicus Earth observation (EO) data and services. The applications can be related to green mobility, but may also tackle needs and problems within anyone of the application categories mentioned above.
By participating in the hackathon you will:
- Get privileged access to Copernicus data, technical mentoring and business coaching at the event
- Get an opportunity to network with Earth observation, business and thematic experts
- Have the opportunity to win up €4000 in prize money and credits for satellite date cloud services
- Have the opportunity become part of the European Copernicus Accelerator program
- Get support from the European Space Agency Business Incubation Center in Denmark and have the possibility of becoming part of an ambitious incubation program with a €50.000 grant for developing your application.
The challenge is calling for all students, coders, researchers, scientists, designers, storytellers, problem-solvers, and anyone enthusiastic about addressing significant societal challenges and are ready to invest a few days in our intensive Hackathon to find new ways to use satellite data to address societal challenges facing us all.
You will need a team member with practical coding experience and preferably also experience in handling big data, because the challenge will involve working hands-on with satellite data.
Link / Access
Read more about Copernicus here: https://www.copernicus.eu/en
HAVE A GREAT TIME!